The Low Down
East Side Games has an immediate opening for an experienced Senior Software Engineer. You have a passion for clean code and are experienced in game and/or web development. You are able to work under tight deadlines and successfully perform fast iterations with agility and ease.
You will work closely with multidisciplinary stakeholders on a variety of projects where you will develop and adhere to timelines and milestones. You will also manage, support and mentor junior programmers, and demonstrate technical leadership and excellence in the assessment, creation, and implementation of processes and plans for the future growth and development of technologies, games and tools.
What You Will Be Doing
- Design, implement, test and document PHP server-side software to support new game features and bug fixes
- Optimize MySQL database tables, caching, and other data stores for performance, reliability and scalability
- Work closely with the Technical Director and other Lead/Senior Software Engineers to design and architect large-scale frameworks and systems to support the development of new features, games or tools
- Working with the Systems team, plan and provide support for ensuring the deployment and uptime of games and tools during and out-of-office hours in a high-traffic, high-growth web environment
- Play, test and provide input/ideas/suggestions on our games, plus analyze/report on other social and mobile games
- Participate in paired coding reviews (XP)
*** Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of experience in object-oriented server-side programming environments such as PHP, Python, or Java. Must be an expert in PHP!
- 3+ years designing, querying, optimizing and scaling MySQL or similar database systems
- Experience in a scaled environment and understanding in detail the difference between scale up and scale out, and why
- Prior experience working on and shipping large-scale software systems or game titles
- Must have a strong interest in the social and mobile gaming space; we actually encourage you to play games and provide input in their design
- Superlative written and verbal communication ability; you have worked with cross-functional teams
- SVN or similar version control experience
Nice To Have
- Advanced Object Oriented skills preferred
- Expert-level knowledge of MySQL (designing, querying, optimizing, sharding)
- Experience with caching technologies and methodologies (APC, Memcache, etc.) and optimizing systems for performance
- Prior experience in DevOps or systems administrator roles an asset
- Solid understanding of network-based client/server systems and its implications on performance and security
- Prior experience working with NoSQL data store technologies (Couchbase, MongoDB, etc.) an asset
What’s In It For You?
- Competitive Salary
- Paid vacation…2 weeks the first year…3 weeks when you hit your 1-year anniversary
- 5 PTO (Personal Time Off) Days
- Extended health benefits
- An empowering, collaborative, casual and flexible environment
- Working on quirky and out-of-the-box game concepts
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, apply here!
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in East Side Games!